As a senior member of the Pinky Swear team, the Director of Development holds responsibility for the oversight of the organization’s comprehensive, strategic resource development plan. With specific goals of increasing support from individual and foundation donors, growing Pinky Swear’s national fundraising scope, and launching an endowment campaign in the next year, the Director of Development will design and execute a national strategy focused on expanding the mid/major gifts program and direct mail/annual fund. The Director of Development will be responsible for leading strategy as well as working hands-on with the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of mid/major gifts from both individual and institutional funders.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director and has direct supervisory responsibility of two development staff, the Donor Database & Operations Manager and the Grant Writer. Additionally, with oversight of the full resource development strategy, the Director of Development will collaborate with colleagues who lead corporate sponsorship, peer-to-peer fundraising, and events, including significant collaboration with the Director of Marketing & Strategy, the wider Pinky Swear team, and Board of Directors.
- Develop an effective national fundraising plan focused on individual and foundation giving in collaboration with the Executive Director and development team.
- Lead the development of a mid/major gifts program – research and coordinate the “ask” both personally and/or by assigning various volunteers or staff as appropriate.
- Implement and manage the Development plan and budget to ensure that the organization’s goals and strategies are being met.
- Provide overall development policy and strategic advice to the Executive Director, wider team, and Board of Directors – champion a strong culture of philanthropy.
- Manage the process of identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individual donors, including the development of strong appeals and a stewardship program.
- Ensure appropriate donor relations including donor stewardship, recognition, communications, and relationship management.
- Oversee the research and recommendation of foundation grant applications, the grant writing and proposal process, and preparation of follow up grant reports.
- Oversee data strategy to include selection for donor mailings and the acquisition of lists for prospect mailings and mid/major gifts and donor research, acknowledgements, and reporting.
- Support the creation of timely and persuasive fundraising communications and messaging.
- Coordinate with Board members on Development efforts and serves as the staff liaison to the Board’s Development and other relevant committees, providing updates and reports as needed.
- Make public appearances as needed to share information about the Pinky Swear mission and plans.
The ideal Director of Development will increase the capability and capacity of Pinky Swear Foundation to help further its mission to support families with a child battling cancer. While no one candidate will possess all of the criteria enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Commitment to Pinky Swear Foundation’s mission and values.
- Minimum of five years of successful hands-on fundraising experience, with a specific skillset for individual, major, and foundation giving. Previous campaign experience preferred.
- Proven experience developing and implementing a successful annual or multi-year strategic resource development plan for an organization; experience leading a national strategy preferred.
- Is an entrepreneurial, innovative, and hungry fundraiser with the willingness to be creative and think outside of the box. A willingness and ability to grow revenue within budget constraints.
- Strong, highly collaborative, leader of a team with the ability to coach and mentor development staff and effectively engage the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other stakeholders in fundraising initiatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Has the personal gravitas to build relationships and connect with people of all levels. Strong presentation and storytelling skills with the ability to appeal to the head and the heart of prospects and donors.
- Ability to excel in a results-oriented environment with a proven track record of successfully raising funds to meet annual goals in collaboration with an energetic team.
- Is a self-motivated multi-tasker with effective time management and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in providing both strategic direction and tactical execution.
- A strong team player who is willing to help where needed. Comfortable in an evolving and fluid organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or CFRE preferred.
For more information, please inquire with Beau Bye at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All inquiries will remain confidential.